1. SCREAM- I think people really take for granted the power of screaming. Now I don’t mean scream at someone. I’m referring to when you’re alone and feeling overwhelmed. Scream into a pillow in your room, or scream when you’re in the car driving home from work after an intense day in the office. You will be surprised at how much better you feel after letting out all your angst vocally.
2. Google Inspiring Quotes- One of my favorite things to do when I’m down is to look up inspiring quotes online. I normally stumble across a quote that is exactly what I need to hear at that moment.
3. Have a Healthy Snack- Most of us tend to want some form of comfort food when we’re feeling down. The problem is, normally the comfort food you’re craving is something unhealthy. I know every time I give into the urge of having McDonalds when I’m stressed, although its amazing while I’m eating it I always feel super guilty after causing me to feel worse than when I started. Try having a snack that’ll make you feel inspired because you didn’t give into those fast food temptations.
4. Have a Little Retail Therapy- Now let’s be clear, I’m not saying go out and break the bank every time you get upset. What I am saying is small amounts of retail therapy work. Key word being small. Go out and buy that lipgloss shade you’ve been dying to try or that bright bottle of nail polish you saw in the store last week!
5. Smile!- I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “Fake it til’ you make it”? Well that goes with feeling better too. Research shows that just forcing yourself to smile can put you in a better mood!
6. Listen to Your Favorite Comedian- I recently discovered I could listen to my favorite comedians all the time on Pandora. Not only do they play the comedians I love, they also play new comedians who are just as great. Laughter is truly the best medicine when you are down!
7. Break a Sweat- Another great way to boost your mood is by getting a good workout in. Working out causes your body to produce more endorphins, instantly boosting your mood.
8. Grab the Bottle and Pour Yourself a Drink- I think this one is pretty self explanatory. I’m not saying go out and get wasted (that’s actually counterproductive because too much alcohol is a depressant), I’m saying have a glass of wine and take the edge off. Relax!
9. Look Cute- I once read a quote that said “When all else fails, look cute”. I know it sounds really superficial, but it’s hard to be in a bad mood when you’re feeling confident and loving the outfit you’re wearing!
10. Take a Nap- Sometimes the best way to boost your mood, is to rest. I’m the biggest advocate of the cat nap. You will be surprised what 20 minutes of sleep will do!!
I hope this helps you when you are feeling down. Are there any others that you would add to the list?
Enjoy Your Week!!!!